My Granpa .This is a picture of my granpa, Angus Carl Kessler. He was born in 1890 in Effingham County, Ga. From the stories I have heard, he tried many different occupations. From working in a Commissary for a logging company, running a dairy, owning a grocery store, brickmason, to lay preacher. More that I don't know, I'm sure.
He married my granma and they went on to have 15 children. This included 4 sets of twins. Thirteen of those are still alive and active senors. They ALL attend church and are faithful Christians. That is his greatest achievement !
I remember when the family and friends would all gather at their house in the summer. Sunday afternoons after church. Anyone visiting church that day was also invited. There would always be a crowd.They would all bring lunch and spread it out on long tables in Granpa's backyard. Saturday afternoon, he would go buy big bags of lemons and cut them up to make lemonade in big wooden barrels. These would sit overnight and be served with lunch. That was the best lemonade ever made. Soaking all night in those wooden barrels gave it a flavor that was out-of-this-world. I have never since had lemonade that good.
He had constructed a half-rubber court in his back lot and the men and bigger boys would all play half-rubber, while the women would sit and gossip and tend babies.We kids would play chase, follow the leader and other games. Some we made up like "Going To Chicago".( Maybe other kids played that too, but I've never heard of it from anyone else.If you know it, let me know.)
Those were good days for me and I wouldn't have these wonderful memories, if it hadn't been for my Granpa .
No comments:
Post a Comment