Thursday, December 6, 2007

Mr Butler is Back

Well, Mr Butler is back.
When we moved into this old house, we were told by some folks that had rented it once, that we had a ghost. Apparently, a Mr. Butler had lived here and had died here and, as was the custom, he had lain "in state" in the living room before the burial.
We are good sensible people. We once saw a UFO but that doesn't mean we think the Matins are coming.This is not the kind of thing that we "believe" in. But.......
Some odd things have happened since we have been here. Twenty-four years now.
Mr. Butler is not a poltergeist. He is a quiet unassuming kind of ghost. Every once in awhile, he will do something to let us know he's still around,That this is still his house. And then there will be periods of calm and nothing will happen for months. We figure he goes on vacation. After all, if you can skulk around without being seen, would you stay home ?
One of the former tenants claimed that she saw him once. She said he reminded her of the girls daddy on that old John Wayne movie,"The Quiet Man". Sort of a short, thin man in a dark suit and a black bowler hat on his head. Now, we have never saw him. I guess he learned how NOT to do that. He's not the scaring type.
For example, several years ago, my daughter had a stereo that would go on and off by itself, Now you could say it probably had a short in it ,but it would change stations. She listened to a station that played Boyz-2-Men and the Backstreet Boys (yeah, I told you it was awhile back). When she would get home from school, the local classical station would be on,. She accused me of changing it, but I was at school with her. (I used to sub, in a former life) LOL.
Sometimes we would be at the supper table and it would just blast out. About the time she got up from the table, It would stop. We learned to unplug it . When she moved out and took it with her, it never happened again.
What brought this up today is, my oldest son (24) was heading out the door for work, and I had just hugged him goodbye, when we both heard a radio come on down the hall. You know how you turn a radio on and it's too loud, so you immediately turn it down or off? That's what we heard. It was a woman's voice like she was giving the news. Then it was gone. We looked at each other because we both know the only radio in the house was right there in the living room! We both went down the hall and nothing!
I looked at my son and we both said at the same time "Mr. Butler's back "!
Weird huh? I'm just grateful he's a quiet guy.

6 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Well now this is something!! I am glad it is you and not us!! I am not sure that i could put up with that. I almost would move I think but at least he is a quiet man!! Have you tried talking to him? Just a thought..Sandy

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

yes that is the picture at Savannah Mall. I also work there so sometime stop in. I usually work from 3-7 and i do work this Saturday 8-11. Would be fun to meet you. Sandy

Mostly Sunny said...

Very cool! What a great story to tell on dark and rainy night!

Anonymous said...

Oh, great. It's after midnight and I'm getting ready to go to bed, so now I'm going to lay in bed and think about the creepy - yet musical - Mr. Butler.

Maybe Mr. Butler is just fascinated with technology. You could get him an iPod and then perhaps he'll leave your radios alone. Ooo, better idea! He can come to my house and play with "my" new computer!! He certainly couldn't make things any worse than they already are.

lillinda said...

TC,
So far Mr Butler has left my computer alone. (Unless he's the reason it crashed awhile back)
We thought it was lightening. I wonder.......
We have a few other stories but I think I will save them for Halloween.
If I can remember by then, I'm getting so OLD ! (See my newest post)

Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the internet. you have a very, very interesting blog.