
Do you remember Evening In Paris cologne? It came in small pretty blue bottles.
When I was a child, my sister and I would pool our money and walk to the store. The store in our little hole -in- the- wall, was named "The Big and Little Variety Store."
There, we would peruse the shelves , looking for just the right Mother's Day gift.
With our limited resources, it usually came to a choice between a floral hankercheif or a bottle of Evening In Paris.
We would take it up to the counter and hand over our meager dimes , pennies and maybe a quarter or two. The old lady clerk would smile and treat it as if it were a gift for a queen. Sometimes she would even wrap it in pink tissue paper for us.
We would take it home and secret it in the underwear draawer in our dresser and spend the rest of the afternoon making cards from construction paper and old Sears or J.C. Penney's catalogs.
Sunday morning, we would place our precious gift on a tray beside her plate and with dad's help, we would bring her breakfast in bed.
She would open the gift and proclaim,"Oh, Just what I was hoping for, Evening In Paris!"
She would dab some on her wrists and behind her ears and we would just beam,believing every word.
I wonder now, if she ever went straight to the bathroom and washed it off. I am sure for the price we paid, it couldn't have smelled all that nice. But the blue bottle was pretty!
1 comment:
I remember Evening in Paris because my grandmother used to wear that and I just loved it...
See you tomorrow...Sandy
Post a Comment