Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mom's Eye Surgery

Mom (who's 77 yo) had her eye surgery 2 weeks ago. She had a hole in her macula. This is a rip or tear in the back of your eye, or something like that. I'm not a doctor !
Anyway, before the surgery, they told her that this operation is not always successful. But if it is, it should give you back your vision in 6 months to a year. It is not fast like cataract surgery.(She had that 2 years ago.)
She hem-hawed over this for about a year. Finally , she decided to do it. She was tired of seeing a big black hole in her vision in one eye. This caused her to have to shut that eye, to really see something right. Sometimes, she said that when she looked right at something, it looked like a big black bug crawling off to the right.

She did well in surgery and the doctor expects her to have better vision that she had before in that eye, but it will take time.
On the way to the post -op office visit- "I'm gonna fire that doctor.He didn't do his job!"
"Mom, what are you talking about?"
Mom, getting snappy," He didn't improve my eyesight."
Me-"Okay, well you tell him that when we see him." It is best not to try to reason with her when she is like this.
When we get in the exam room, she is meek as a lamb. He pronounced her healing well and right on target. "I expect by this time next year you'll be seeing better than you were when I first saw you." he said.
"Well is that good?" she asked?
He looks at me and then her and says," Well I don't know, I'll look a year older to you, then." Trying to lighten the mood.
"You're not a comedian" she scolded.

When we got home, my dad asked her about her visit. "Well", she says,"It's not good."
I still can't see out of that eye."

Ohhh I give up !
Music in background...."It's a wonderful day in my neighborhood, a wonderful day............

1 comment:

CrossView said...

LOL! Might as well laugh. Nothing else will do any good... =D

Ive always said that the elderly are much like pre-schoolers. Only pre-k is easier to deal with! =P