Who remembers Ron Paul?
He ran for President in 2008. He traveled in a blimp from city to city to campaign.
The January morning he landed at the Savannah Airport,
I was on my way from Bloomingdale to Port Wentworth, to pick up my daddy and take him to a Dr. appt.
We have to go thru the airport to get there. The road takes a weird winding route thru the airport and Gulfstream's many properties.
My youngest son was with me and at that time, and he was fascinated with blimps.
Just as we made the big curve, there was a field over to the right, where blimps quite often landed,
(there's a Gulfstream building there now. )
It was very windy that morning and just as we made the curve, my son looked out of the back window and very calmly said, " Mama, that blimp is about to hit us."
Not sure I heard him right, I replied "huh"?
Sure enough, about the time I got that out of my mouth, the blimp was coming into view right above the car windshield. I probably could have stuck my hand out the window and touched it. I ran off the road into the gravel and stopped, trying to stop my heart from beating so fast!
I stopped and got out and noticed a white truck behind me, A man had got out too.
"Are you alright"? he asked.
"I think so", I replied
Andrew was thrilled, looking at the blimp so close up.
"I think the pilot almost lost it when that gust of wind blew him off course and he almost landed on your van", the man said.
We stood there a while, watching as a film crew from the local news station came rolling by. They must have just missed the near accident.
We thought sure someone from the campaign team would walk over and see if we were alright, but no one did.
"Well, the man said, "I gotta get to work.
"Yeah, I said, I've got get somewhere, too.
Andrew and I got back in the van and drove on over to daddies' house.. He started in fussing because we were running late.
"Well, Pee Pa ", Andrew said, "We are late because we almost made the news !

No comments:
Post a Comment